Alteration of Gut microbiota during HIV infection
Gut flora is the community of microbial populations that live in the intestine. Approximately 30% of this population is shared by all humans, but the remaining 70% is unique to each individual, hence gut microbiota serves as an identity card. Gut microbiota play numerous functions in the body's defense against invasion, the synthesis of important vitamins, the regulation of immunological marker production, and others. Researchers observed several data when analyzing bacteria species present in HIV-infected individuals using the 16S rRNA sequencing approach, concluding that HIV-infected people had a high number of Prevotella species, while Lachnospiraceae, Christensenellaceae, Ruminococcaceae, and Bacteroidaceae were all less. Those microbiota shifts may help explain how gut-related disorders interact with HIV. Researchers have discovered various methods for altering the composition of the gut microbiota in order to achieve a healthy gut. This review will focus on and highlight recent discoveries in Gut microbiota shifts during HIV infection and emphasize the immune response and treatment options.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Kevser Hanne Altın
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
This journal permits and encourages authors to post items/PDFs submitted to the journal on personal websites or institutional repositories after publication, while providing bibliographic details that credit its publication in this journal.